In our daily prayers God was every manner of image and metaphor and meaning, and always, "God the Father." We never ever prayed to "God our Mother." What were women in the economy of God? The answer was only too painful: We were invisible. I had given my life to a God who did not see me, did not include me, did not touch my nature with God's own....Joan Chittister, "Called to Question"

Saturday, September 15, 2012

Proper 19B

I read this poem via TEXTWEEK from the Church of Scotland liturgy pages. I was so moved by it, that I wanted to share this with the blog. I will be using it as part of my sermon tomorrow. - submitted by the Rev. Karla J. Miller

The Church of Scotland: Mission and Discipleship Council.
16 September 2012 Pentecost+16


If you want to witness to who Jesus is, listen to who Jesus says you are.
You are the light for the world,
the defiance of the darkness;
when the world remains silent,
you are the voice that still speaks. When the world says “a fairer world”, you are the pressure that remembers.
This is who Jesus says you are in the world. The irritation.
...
if you want to witness to who Jesus is, listen to who Jesus says you are.
You are the challenge to the status quo, the salt in the wound:
when the world says “go to war”,
you are the protest;
when the world says, “everyone has a fair chance” you are the laughter.
This is who Jesus says you are in the world: the contradiction.
....
If you want to witness to who Jesus is, listen to who Jesus says YOU are.
You are the voice of dissent,
the truth amid the propaganda.
When the world says, “be beautiful”,
you are the brokenness.
When the world fills its belly,
you are the hunger.
This is who Jesus says you are in the world: the aggravation.
If you want to witness to who Jesus is, listen to who Jesus says YOU are.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: